Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The Rhythm of Our Days: Fall Edition

It's finally starting to feel more like fall and a few leaves are starting to turn.



We had fallen into a pleasant school routine before heading off to the beach, but it wasn't too hard to pick up where we left off.

The days still start with morning coffee on the back porch but for the last week it has also required a blanket or warm quilt.  With a cup of coffee in my system, I can face making breakfast.


Dish loading, teeth brushing, and bed making done, we all head out for a brief walk in the neighborhood.  It feels a little cumbersome at time to herd six kids (many on wheels of various sizes) down the street while carrying on multiple conversations and watching out for vehicular traffic; still, it is one of my favorite times of the day.



And of course there is the mandatory stop to visit Katherine's favorite puppy.


Once home, we launch into learning.  Andrew pretty much handles his work on his own, but the others require my help on everything.

Reading is the top priority, but it also means that I'm stuck to the couch for a hour or more listening to children sound out stories.  And two of them are doing the same work which means I get to hear the same story twice in a row.  I get a little antsy to say the least.


That is until I had a breakthrough.  I discovered that I could easily do handwork like smocking and quilting while glancing sideways at the book being read.  Multitasking at it's finest!



Mid-morning the kids are ready for a snack so we gather together for our common work (Bible, memory work, history, and a read-aloud).  When we're done, I do math with the boys and Andrew finishes up his work.  The girls are always in and out.


Lunches al fresco are such a blessing and once the boys realized they had less cleanup, the more they insisted on eating outside.  Often I will read a fun book to them ( Man of the Family by Ralph Moody is our current selection).


The boys have a mandatory 30 minute reading session while I read to the girls.  Katherine still naps, and Josie and the boys are free to disappear downstairs to play with LEGOS or go outside (I don't really care as long as I'm not disturbed).


Science and Snacks happens a couple of times a week, but otherwise the afternoons are free for them to entertain themselves, preferably outdoors.



 We've been so blessed with great neighbors, and the girls often head across the street to play or vice versa.


Dinner & cleanup.  A bit of play and then bedtime stories.  And it's time to call it a wrap of a day well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment