Thursday, September 3, 2015

Laundry Quandry

A ridiculous amount of time this week was spent searching for a new washing machine.

Ridiculous, (1) because we are now starting on our third washer in twelve years and (2) because apparently no one can come to a consensus on a quality product.

Decision-making is not my strong point.  I had to consult Consumer Reports (trip to library with six kids).  I had to check out products in person (three stores with six kids after going to said library).  I had to go home to read on-line reviews.  I had to phone a friend (or a sister and a mom) and poll facebook friends. 

Meanwhile the Voice of Reason said, "Just buy a mid-range washer and be done with it."  I think he said this while perusing the diminishing contents of his closet.

I spent a second morning with my entourage at a small appliance store and came home knowing what I wanted.  Only it was a bit out of my range.

IF I had unlimited funds, I would gladly plunk it down on a Speed Queen if it would indeed last 20 years.  If it can handle the loads of a laundromat (pun intended), I think it can handle the Hamills.  But there was no way to justify the price tag.

The thought of another trip out was too much.  It was decision time.  The LG I first considered was going to be a 2-3 week wait.  Um, no way.  Sears couldn't deliver anything until September 7.  I can't wait that long.  Lowe's offered free next day delivery and had a 5-star reviewed machine in stock.  And I could order it over the phone.  Yes!



It arrived this morning and I immediately put it through it's paces.  Eight loads later I can attest to it's effectiveness and Doug can breathe a sigh of relief!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! This makes me really dread the day ours quits!! It's done an incredible amount of laundry - 14 yrs worth and just a basic model top loader. The days coming though! Glad you found one you like; hope it's a good one!!

    ReplyDelete