Monday, June 22, 2015

The Garden in June

I had great intentions to keep an accurate record of "what's blooming" as the summer progressed, but alas, I haven't done very well. 
May 2015
 The Knockout Roses that were showy and lovely in May petered out, giving way to a gorgeous but everchanging collection of daylilies.

 Most of these were pass-alongs from my mother who often shared/traded with her mother.  I believe that Her-too would be proud of my little patch.


I've started some new beds with the hope of rescuing some of my poor plants from this obnoxious bindweed that strangles anything within it's reach.  It must grow a couple of feet overnight and every summer it completely covers my flowers.  

During my teen years I remember hearing my grandmother tell my mother about some elaborate plan she had to dig up and separate her daylilies and treat the roots with some concoction to kill a fungus.  At the time, I thought she was crazy to go to so much trouble.

Now I've become the crazy lady (actually, that term would apply to a lot of different areas of my life).  This spring I dug up daylilies and daisies and sedum and gently separated their roots to remove this vine.  It's hard to get it all, though, and it's popping up in other beds.

Moving on.


I was late planting zinnias ("late" is pretty much my story these days) but they are just starting to bloom.  (And "forgetful" is also an apt description which is why we should have LOTS of zinnias - I kept forgetting that I had already planted some so I planted more; it's not a bad problem to have).


I was taken with this bee balm in a neighbor's yard last summer.  She promised to share in the fall, but unfortunately she passed away before we could dig up anything.   Another neighbor has since bought the house, and she generously let me dig some specimens that will always remind me of Mrs. Goodson.


I really don't know why, but this butterfly bush is growing at a 45 degree angle.  Now that there are some new shoots, it doesn't look quite as odd, but it's definitely not normal.  Pretty, though.


I've tried to stick with plants that can survive drought and heat (and the past few weeks have fit that description).  I wanted some coneflowers and I love this 'Supreme Cantaloupe' variety.


The shasta daisies are just about to burst into bloom.  I bought three of these 2.5 quart pots at a 3/$10 sale about 7 years ago.  They have multiplied like crazy so that I've been able to divide and add new beds in the yard.


My pink knockout roses are blooming again but aren't nearly as healthy and robust as the red variety. 


And 'Little Limelight' will be in bloom soon, too.  I can't rave enough about this little guy.  I had two small plants last year, but there must be something in the water: they had lots of babies which means more plants!  Yay!


Another drought resistant/fuss free plant: Mexican Blanket Flower.  This was a dead-and-dying purchase from Lowe's last year.  It bloomed consistently through the summer but stayed pretty small.  A long winter's rest revived it's spirit, however, and it has at least tripled in size.  The bees and butterflies love it.


And finally, the split personality crepe myrtle is starting to bloom again: pink & red to cover all the bases.

No comments:

Post a Comment