Thursday, January 29, 2015

In Which Matthew Turns Seven

I was going through some piles of stuff this evening and came across Matthew's birth announcement.


It's hard to believe that little bundle (he was the smallest baby in our family until Josie came along) is now a "big" boy (what he lacks in stature he more than makes up for in self-confidence).

 
Around here birthdays seem to rival Christmas in terms of excitement so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I heard them stirring and scoping out the kitchen table around 5 am. 
 
 
It was beautiful to see everyone genuinely happy and excited for Matthew, and there was nary a word of complaint or grumbling from the smaller siblings who did not have birthdays (maybe a first?).
 

He requested an army tank cake and it was quite the group effort to construct, and there were plenty of willing mouths eager to make use of the leftover icing.


In his words, "I'm glad I'm seven but I really wish I were seventeen so that I could join the army." 

And as an addendum:


Maybe it was the extreme fatigue messing with her head, but as soon as Josie got her piece of cake she requested some more salad.  I asked again to make sure I wasn't hearing things, but indeed she did, and finished them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment