Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Fishin' With Grandpa

Doesn't every good fishing trip start with a drive down a dirt road?
 
 
Dirt roads are plentiful in Mississippi and we tried out several.
 
 
This particular one led to the land of a friend.
 
 
 
 
Apparently the pond hadn't had much use lately and the fish were hungry.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I was sure we could count the adventure toward some Scout achievement.
 
Lesson one: bait your hook.
 
 
It wasn't so hard as long as we had worms, but when they ran out we had to use crickets.  Yuck!  I lost several when they jumped on me.
 
Lesson two: unhook your catch.
 
 
Stephen was pretty excited about this; the others less so.  Having been stuck myself years ago, I was a little nervous but I figured since I was making the boys do it, I needed to give it a go.
 
 
(This was actually Andrew being brave).
 
 
And what about Tootsie?  I was so afraid she'd decide to go swimming.
 
 
Instead, she amused herself with the caught fish.
 
 
I found one that appeared to be asleep and she carried it around.
 
 
I turned my back, and this what I saw.
 
 
Yes, she licked the fish.
 

Matthew is old before his time.  Not only does he like checkers and horseshoes, he's decided to buy himself a fishing pole.  "You know, at that store where we got the camping stove.  I bet they have lots."  (Otherwise known as Academy Sports).


 
It was a wonderful afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment