Monday, February 17, 2014

National Cabbage Day

I don't usually keep with these random "holidays,"
but I happened to see this somewhere and immediately thought "Cabbage Rolls."
My grandparents would be thrilled to know how much my kids enjoy this dish.
How fitting they should help.
Most family gatherings featured Cabbage Rolls.  Sure, there was always the requisite turkey for Thanksgiving and ham at Christmas, but you could count on cabbage rolls (and I still find turkey and ham a little lackluster in comparison).
My grandmother passed on her technique which she had learned initially from my Hungarian grandfather and his sisters (yes, this was her method of measuring salt).

It's all pretty simple: ground pork & beef, salt & pepper, rice
combined and wrapped in a gently steamed cabbage leaf.
A steamer basket fills the bottom of a large pot
 in which the cabbage rolls are layered with sauerkraut and tomatoes.
Don't forget the stuffed pepper in the center of the pot.
Top with a simple gravy of water, cornstarch, and paprika (of course).
Cover and simmer for about 3 hours.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment