Saturday, September 21, 2013

Beach Trip 2013: Nature Walks

Beach combing is the best!
 
 









 







Pickin's were a little slim this year: several different types of crabs including lots of teeny-tiny hermit crabs.  A couple of dead horseshoe crabs.  A starfish.  My brother-in-law took a bunch of the kids out early one morning and got to witness a bunch of sea turtles marching to the sea - I hate that I missed that!  But the best was yet to come.

It was a typical day at the beach: digging, watching, boogie-boarding.


All of a sudden one of the cousins came running out of the water:  "I saw a fin."

 
I had my camera out (and the baby in the Bjorn) so we went running toward the water.


We tracked it up and down the shore.
 
 
It's kind of hard to tell from the picture, but we think it was a type of hammerhead and about 3 1/2 feet long.  They feed on crabs in the shallow water, but to me, sharks fall in the category of spiders and snakes: they are something to be avoided.


No comments:

Post a Comment