Friday, February 17, 2012

The "Exciting" Day

Thursday won't quickly be forgotten.

Our schedule was a little different anyway due to a field trip.  We squeezed in the essentials, fed everyone and dressed the big boys for a trip to the orchestra with dad.  I had some fun with the little ones, reading and playing and taking pictures.

The big kids returned.  We had rest time and snacks.

The boys went out play and creativity struck.  Mud was on the menu.  Every contraption from our backyard was quickly painted brown.  It was pure delight for the four boys.

Since Doug had a meeting, we decided to get free dinners from Earth Fare (an adult spends $5.00 on dinner and gets up to 6 free kid meals).  We've done it several times before with both good and bad experiences with the crowds.  The kids really miss the comics featuring the villains Artificial Artie and High Fructose Fred, but the bottled water kind of makes up for it.

There were very few people which made ordering easy and the kids quickly snatched their bags and headed to the table.  Andrew announced, "This day started off a little boring and then got exciting and then was a little boring but then it was exciting again and now there is more excitement."  (I'm thinking school-orchestra-rest time-mud-restaurant).

Little did he know the best was left to come.

Stephen announced that he thought his wrap had cheese (which I had specifically requested be left off).  I then looked at Matthew who had had the same order.  His lips were red and slightly swollen; he acted a little "off."

I whipped out some Benedryl and considered my options.
  1. The allergist is nearby but the office is closed.
  2. Go to the emergency room.
  3. Go home and treat him with the nebulizer.
  4. Buy some more Benedryl at Target.
It seems like in instances of medical emergencies, I go shopping (at least that was the case with two babies) so since I needed lightbulbs anyway and he wasn't turning blue, I chose option 4 and walked next door.

We got loaded back up and started for home.  A call to the allergist was left unanswered.  Coughing increased.  Half-way home I decided it was a situation of better-safe-than-sorry.  I took the nearest exit.

The allergist always asked if I would feel comfortable using the epi-pen, and I thought I would be.  It really wasn't a big deal.  Actually considering the part of town where I had to stop, I was more concerned about being shot than shooting him.

I announced to the kids that we were headed to the hospital.

Andrew:  "Oh, this is another exciting thing that is happening." 

Yes, dear.  I'm glad you are entertained by the fact that your brother is having difficulty breathing.

The ER is anything but quick, and I just wonder what kind of state you would have to be in before it was actually considered an "emergency."  I had been under the impression that lung function was pretty vital.  Thankfully there was television and giant coin donation containers and a labryinth of seating to occupy the 3 non-sick tagalongs.  A sympathetic mother shared knowing smiles, and eventually Doug joined the party.

Matthew was eventually seen and put in a room where he was pumped with more epinephrine and other drugs.  The doctors cautioned that he may have to be admitted so Doug loaded up the other boys to go home, and Josie and I kept watch by his bed.  That much Benedryl will knock a boy out.

No water for me and only one diaper for the girl; thankfully we were not without entertainment.  A three year old, referred to only as "Booger", was getting stitches on the other side of the curtain.  Seems she petted a friend's dog (a English bull dog-lab-pit bull-chow mix), and he decided to bite her nose.   Her mother and grandparents were in attendance, and I got to learn way more than I cared to know, including a complete conversation on the relative size of everyone's bottom.  She only needed one stitch, and we all breathed a sigh of relief as they left; I wonder if they ever did decide on what to get to eat: Krystals, cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets?

He had a lovely nurse named English who also had two brothers, Britt and Dane.

Two hours later the previously mentioned mother arrived with her daughter ("five-and-a-half" because those halves are so important) who also needed stitches though not from injuries received from activity with a vicious breed (or would that be half breed...or quarter breed...or breed squared).  We had a normal conversation which was a blessed relief.

They left, and mercifully, Matthew was cleared to leave, too.  A quick call to Doug (who once again had to load everyone up), and we were back at home at 1:30 am. 

Another exciting thing to add to the day.

Or the start of a new one.



3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...glad your "excitement" turned out okay in the end, and glad Mommy didn't panic when things turned exciting :) Thankful that Matthew is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To answer your question, bleeding that won't stop will get you right back to see the doctors. I've been and I've taken each of my brothers. The key is make sure they know the bleeding won't stop. When I took Joseph (in high school), they handed me a clipboard to fill out, then told us to sit down. It wasn't until I asked for something else to catch the blood because he was filling up the container that I had that they rushed us back. In panic.

    Welcome to the ER club! I can't believe you've gone this far without a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So did you give the Epi? I am still afraid I will freeze at this point... I am so glad things turned out well! We have also found that asking the dr. to call ahead to the ER ( some will just tell you they will do it so you can get in faster ) will also get you right in. Did you tell the folks at Earth Fare what happened? EEK...

    ReplyDelete