Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Attention Publix: Customer Service Training Needed

My friend Meg's gushing about Publix made me remember what I hoped to forget: my first negative experience at the store.

Last week we (meaning me and the 5 kids) popped in after our weekly morning school to get a few things.  Everyone (meaning me and the 5 kids) was tired and hungry, but we got what we needed without so much as a tear or nasty look.

As I rolled the huge cart full of kids and provisions to the front, a cashier was waiting at the end of her register. 

I love to get to the front and have someone say, "Oh, I'm open.  Let me help you." so you can imagine my surprise when said cashier blurts out, "Are you trying to single-handedly populate the earth?"

What?!

I mananged a very calm but emphatic, "That was a rude thing to say." and hastily swung my cart down another aisle.

She then tried to back-track.

"Oh, I didn't mean to offend you.  It just looks like you have your hands full."

As if that helps a lot.  (I think I'm going to start charging people who tell me that - should help the college fund.)  And then she continued.

"Really, I am sorry.  I just wouldn't change places with you for anything."

Did she really think that made it any better? 

2 comments:

  1. This is awful! I think you handled it very well; I don't know what I would have said if someone had been that rude. It so often takes you off guard and then afterwards it's easy to think of plenty sarcastic remarks. Clara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Epic. That is quality stuff.

    I actually just emailed publix because i have some big issues there with their people...the meat lady who tries to pull back my baby carrier to see sleeping Fern...the one lady who knows some friends of mine and feels like it's hilarious to put them down every time she sees me...the not one but TWO people I have seen dig in their ear, scratch around, pull their finger out and look to see what they found.

    When I hear back from them, I will be sure to add your story to the mix.

    ReplyDelete