Friday, November 12, 2010

Pie Feast

A couple of weeks ago, our school director announced that we would be having a Pie Feast.  Heaven on earth, I do declare!  It causes a dilemna, however - what to make?

Nuts are eliminated due to allergies, so goodbye Peanut Butter Pie (I miss yours, Mrs. Howell) and Pecan Pie.

Apple is usually my go-to, but apple and pumpkin are a dime-a-dozen these days.

Black Bottom Banana-Cream Pie
Black Bottom Banana?  Maybe a little too odd to suit the kiddos.

Grandma's Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
Lemon Meringue?  I don't think I've ever done one (but that's never stopped me before).

Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie Recipe

Coconut Cream?  It looks intimidating but it's one that I like just a single piece of every now and then.


Raspberry Cheesecake Pie?  I've requested this from my mother after the birth of my last two younguns.

I'm totally undecided, but thing is certain: It Will Have a Homemade Crust!  Therein lies the key difference between a good pie and a great pie.  (I can guarantee no one finishes up their Pillsbury-bottomed slice and thinks, "Wow, that was good crust!").

Here is my favorite recipe straight from the hills of Appalachia.

Foolproof Pie Crust

4 c. plain flour
1 3-4 c. shortening
1 T. sugar
2 t. salt
1T. vinegar
1 egg
1/2 c. ice water (straight from fridge)

With a fork, mix the first four ingredients.  Separately mix remaining ingredients. 
Combine the two until all are moistened.  With hand, mold dough into a ball. 
Chill at least 15 minutes before rolling into desired shape.

Yields 5 single-crusts (unused crusts can be frozen).

2 comments:

  1. Julie, I was just telling Carrie today about your pie crust recipe and how good it is! Maybe you can sneak and have a piece of peanut butter pie sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year, my dad made a pie crust using vodka...it was AMAZING. We've requested it again this year. Who cares about the pie...just that crust.

    However, I think the school would frown on anything made with liquor.

    ReplyDelete